These guidelines are for Claris licensees, ized resellers, developers, customers, and other parties wishing to use Claris International Inc. (“Claris”) trademarks, service marks or images (see the Claris Trademark List below) in promotional, advertising, instructional, or reference materials, or on their web sites, products, labels, or packaging. Use of the Claris Logo for commercial purposes without the prior written consent of Claris may constitute trademark infringement and unfair competition in violation of federal and state laws. Use of Claris trademarks may be prohibited, unless expressly ized.
If you are a licensee of a Claris trademark or logo and have been provided with special trademark usage guidelines with your license agreement, please follow those guidelines. If your license agreement does not provide usage guidelines, then follow these guidelines. If you are a member of a Claris program, you may be subject to additional restrictions.
Claris’s trademarks, service marks, trade names, and trade dress are valuable assets. In following these guidelines, you help us protect our valuable trademark rights and strengthen our corporate and brand identities. By using a Claris trademark, in whole or in part, you are acknowledging that Claris is the sole owner of the trademark and promising that you will not interfere with Claris’s rights in the trademark, including challenging Claris’s use, registration of, or application to register such trademark, alone or in combination with other words, anywhere in the world, and that you will not harm, misuse, or bring into disrepute any Claris trademark. The goodwill derived from using any part of a Claris trademark exclusively inures to the benefit of and belongs to Claris. Except for the limited right to use as expressly permitted under these Guidelines, no other rights of any kind are granted hereunder, by implication or otherwise. If you have any questions regarding these guidelines, submit your query to the Claris Legal Department.
Claris Trademark List
Claris International Trademark List
*This list is not exclusive and Claris reserves the right to add or delete trademarks at any time.
Referential Trademark Usage.
Claris does not object to your making referential use of our trademarks or product names (but not logos) in marketing and promotional materials, books and other printed matter, conferences, applications, demonstrations, and on internet locations, provided such use complies with the guidelines set forth below:
- You adhere to the "Proper Use of Trademarks" section below.
- You ensure that your use of the Claris trademarks reflects favorably on Claris, its products and technologies; and you do not disparage Claris or its products and services.
- To avoid misleading the public, do not use Claris trademarks as part of your company, product or service name. In addition, Claris trademarks must not appear more prominently than your company title and logo.
- You include a trademark attribution notice giving Claris proper credit with regard to the ownership of its trademark(s). See the following section entitled, "Proper Use of Trademarks."
- You acknowledge in whole or in part that Claris is the sole owner of the trademarks and promise that you will not interfere with the trademark rights of Claris, including challenging Claris's use of, registration of, or application to register such trademarks, alone or in combination with other words, anywhere in the world, and that you will not harm, misuse, or bring into disrepute any Claris trademark. The goodwill derived from using any part of any Claris trademark exclusively inures to the benefit of and belongs to Claris.
Websites and Domain Name Usage.
Web site domain names that include the term "Claris" combined with other distinguishing words, numbers or symbols, may use the word marks as part of the domain name provided that such use complies with the following requirements:
- You may not use any Claris trademark, including but not limited to the Claris name, as part of your company name, product name or service name. Also, you may not use any Claris trademark as the most prominent word in your domain name.
- The web site must serve to: a) promote products and/or services that are compatible with Claris products and technology; or b) serve as an informational forum concerning Claris products and technology.
- The web site does not create a sense of endorsement, sponsorship, or false association with Claris, its products or services.
- You include the following disclaimer of sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement by Claris on your web site similar to the following:
"(Company Name) is an independent entity and this web site has not been ized, sponsored, or otherwise affiliated with Claris International Inc. Claris and FileMaker are trademarks of Claris International Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries."
- The use of the Claris word mark on the web site complies with the guidelines set forth in the above "Referential Trademark Usage" paragraph and the following section entitled, "Proper Use of Trademarks."
- You may not use the word "Claris", "Claris FileMaker Pro" or any other Claris product name alone as a domain name (e.g., Claris.xyz, ClarisFileMakercloud.com).
Except for the limited right to use as expressly permitted under these terms, no other rights of any kind are granted hereunder, by implication or otherwise.
Claris does not review or specifically grant permission to use its trademarks in book titles, series titles, website titles, or other titles. Publishers should consult their own legal counsel regarding proper referential use of others' trademarks in their titles. Titles that refer to Claris trademarks are generally appropriate so long as: (1) the Claris trademark does not appear as the first word or otherwise as the most prominent part of the title; (2) the Claris trademark is not used in any other manner that might suggest Claris's affiliation, sponsorship, or certification (e.g., using Claris trademarks as part of logos, designs, or other graphics); (3) the book cover does not include any Claris logos, logotypes, icons, trade dress, or other designs; (4) the book includes a prominent disclaimer of association with Claris; and (5) Claris's trademarks are properly marked with the appropriate a TM or ® symbol and attributed to Claris.
Claris generally does not permit third party use of its logos, and you should not use them unless you have express written consent from Claris International Inc. For more information regarding use of Claris logos, please contact the Claris legal department via e-mail @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Proper Use of Trademarks
Please comply with these guidelines when using Claris Trademarks. For all other countries, please use ™ instead of ® as Claris trademarks are not registered in every country.
- Trademarks are adjectives used to modify nouns; the noun is the generic name of a product or service.
- As adjectives, trademarks may not be used in the plural or possessive form.
Correct: I bought two licenses of Claris FileMaker Pro software.
Incorrect: I bought two Claris FileMaker Pros.
- An appropriate generic term must appear after the trademark the first time it appears in a printed piece, and as often as is reasonable after that. (e.g. Software is an appropriate generic term for the trademark Claris FileMaker Pro).
- Always spell and capitalize Claris’s trademarks exactly as they are shown in the Claris Trademark List above. Do not shorten, abbreviate, hyphenate or otherwise alter Claris product names or any other Claris trademarks. Do not make up names that contain Claris trademarks.
Trademark Symbols, Credit Lines, and Trade Names
Proper trademark attribution through trademark symbols, credit lines, and trade names helps make the public aware of our trademarks, and helps prevent them from becoming generic terms. Credit lines also help clarify that they belong to Claris. Accordingly, Claris would appreciate you attributing ownership of Claris trademarks to Claris International Inc. by using trademarks symbols, credit lines, and trade names as outlined below.
Trademarks Symbols and Placement.
On products, packaging, manuals, advertisements and promotional materials, use a trademark symbol ("®" or "™") with the most prominent appearance of a Claris trademark. These symbols must be used at least the first time a Claris mark is mentioned in the text (after the title). Thereafter, you do not need to use the trademark symbol.
Credit lines should appear either at the beginning or end of your manuals, publications, or other materials. There are a few general rules to follow when preparing credit lines: You should not include trademark symbols (® or ™) or the extension (such as "Pro" or the version number) in the credit line. You should not include trademarks in the credit line if the trademarks do not appear in the materials.
Sample Credit Line: Claris and FileMaker are trademarks of Claris International Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Claris FileMaker WebDirect is a trademark of Claris International Inc.
Trade names are the actual business names of companies. Trademarks and trade names are not the same, even though many companies use their trade names as trademarks. If you are using "Claris" as a substitute for Claris International Inc., you are using it as a trade name. Because they are nouns, trade names can be used in the possessive and do not require a generic term or a trademark symbol. Thus, you are not required to use a ® after "Claris" when it appears as part of the full corporate name or as a trade name. For example:
Corporate Name: This software was developed by Claris International Inc.
Trade Name: This software was developed by Claris.
Other Copy Guidelines
You must not use any Claris trademarks, logos or designs other than those listed on the Claris trademark list as updated by Claris from time to time.
You must not use Claris trademarks on any promotional merchandise (e.g. shirts, key chains, mugs, mouse pads, etc.).
The size and placement of the Claris trademarks must emphasize clearly that you are an independent entity, and not part of Claris. In all cases, the visual affiliation between your company and Claris must clearly indicate the independent nature of the relationship between the two companies.
You may not represent your company as "official," "exclusive," "approved," or "franchised" by Claris.
Depiction of Claris products and services must be a fair representation of them as marketed and distributed by Claris. You may not use any Claris trademarks in any material, which contains subject matter, which Claris may deem, in our opinion, in poor taste. Further, you may not use the Claris trademarks in a manner or context that reflects unfavorably upon Claris or which will diminish or damage Claris's goodwill, in Claris's reasonable judgment.
You must not make any claims about Claris, its products or services, other than presenting current information, which has been published by Claris.
You are not ized by Claris to use any other third party marks, even if they are used in connection with the Claris products or services.
The Claris trademarks are valuable property rights of Claris. Please treat them properly in accordance with the foregoing guidelines. Misuse of the Claris trademarks may subject you to trademark infringement or passing off claims.
Questions and Information
If you have questions or would like further information regarding Claris Trademarks, please contact the Claris Legal Department as follows:
Claris International Inc., Attn: Legal Department
One Apple Park Way, 174-DEF
Cupertino, California 95014, United States
Last Revised: January 2021